Summer: Mon., 8/12

We're back on track. A great summer day. The girls had sewing camp in the morning, and they had such a great time today they didn't want to leave. They learned how to finger-knit, which was a huge hit. After camp, my friend and her daughter (who's in camp too) invited us to swim at the country club and have lunch, which was lots of fun. The country club pool allows pool noodles and rafts, and the girls had a blast playing with their friend.  All three girls brought Cabbage Patches to the pool.

As soon as L&G got home, they began finger-knitting. They were also deep into a stack of Fox Trot and Calvin & Hobbes collections I'd found at a thrift store. Lucia was finger-knitting and reading at the same time, desperate to do both, unable to choose. They didn't change position for two and a half hours, knitting and reading. "This is so relaxing!!!" Lucia exclaimed. "I want to read and finger-knit all day!!!!" I have created mini-me's. I'm feeling great pride. Even tonight, I had to pry the comic books out of their hands. "There's so much to reeeeaaaad," Greta lamented. Yes there is. Yes there is.

We ate dinner and then walked down into town to meet Andrew for ice cream. Then we came home and they continued to read and finger-knit. Then bedtime.

I've been offering to homeschool the girls to continue on with our curriculum of yarn crafts, sewing, reading, bike riding, and (soon) puppy cuddling. Lucia has declined, too excited about starting fourth grade. Greta has accepted, suggesting a "puppy care" class as one of our areas of study. Excellent.

It occurs to me that I have really nudged the children into a very specific realm this summer, where their focus is on friendship bracelets, Cabbage Patch dolls, and comic strips from the 1990s. It's a wonderful spell of time travel. I'm not willing to leave it anytime soon.

Comments