Summer: Mon., 8/26 - Tues., 8/27

Monday, 8/26

The world was our oyster today. Nothing planned or scheduled. The weather was gorgeous. Fall-like and sunny. We just lazed around in the morning, the kids playing with various things, me dealing with the usual cauldron of intrigue with the Soisson House. It was so beautiful outside, though, that I felt like we should go somewhere. I'm not one to take the kids on a million outings--we're always happy just staying home--but today I suggested a walk and a playground at the reservoir. They said yes, but that they wanted to keep playing for a while (they were doing something outside, with scooters and a fake campfire and a bucket), and when I said that was fine, we could go whenever, Greta said, "That warms my heart."

We did eventually make it to West Orange and had a nice long walk around the reservoir, spotting turtles. Then we went to the Pirate Playground. They had lots of fun, mostly swinging together while singing songs from Descendents 3.

I made butter chicken in the Instapot for dinner. Greta loved it, Lucia did not.

Lucia's carpet arrived today, and we'd planned to get it all set up when Andrew got home. But when his train was cancelled, we decided to try doing it ourselves, and succeeded. Lucia wanted to move some of her furniture around, which we did. Now she and Greta both have cozy, revamped rooms to start off the school year. They both want some posters, but other than that the rooms look great.

Tuesday, 8/27

The girls slept in till 9:30 this morning. (Greta was up twice last night with nightmares, so she was extra tired.) Lucia had a tutoring session this morning. The girls were out of sorts today, sulky and tired and bickering and generally driving me crazy. Irritable little sloths. We did some shopping for the puppy, which was a good outing, but then it was back to more slothing. Oh--we also stopped at the library so I could pick up a couple of holds, and return a bunch of books. The librarian was checking our books in while we were there, and SHE ACCUSED ME OF DAMAGING ONE OF THE BOOKS. She pointed out some water-warping on the pages. I know we didn't do it, but I felt so guilty, so publicly shamed. I know she didn't believe me. I of course offered to pay for it, and she said she'd just get in touch once she heard from the other library (it was from interlibrary loan). If I'm blackballed from the library, I'm going to have to move.

Tonight we drove out to Madison, NJ, to a puppy training center for our first class of Puppy Kindergarten. No puppies are allowed in the first class, which was why I was able to sign up for this session, even though we don't actually have a puppy yet. It was a basic introduction to the training we'll be learning, and it was already super helpful. I think we're going to learn a lot.

The girls listened to the instructor as well, while finger-knitting.

Tonight they're having a sleepover in Lucia's room. As of 10pm, they were still awake and beginning to argue. Like I said, they were irritable sloths today. We need our puppy.


Comments