Summer: Fri. 7/17 (NH)

I went grocery shopping this morning, the last time for a while, since we still don't want to do in-person shopping in NJ. The early part of the day was cool and rainy. I read, and the girls played with Legos and also played some games that we have up here, and we read Harry Potter and ate Rice Krispie treats. We took a walk to look for red efts. Not many today--just one, which Greta put into her Lego car for a minute.

It warmed up in the afternoon, and the girls swam in the pond, most of the time hysterically laughing over elaborate, longstanding inside jokes that are impossible for anyone but them to understand.

Andrew had to run a couple of errands later in the day, and he got takeout fried clams from a restaurant we like. Then we read more Harry Potter and then it was bedtime.

The days fly by, and tomorrow is our last day here. Three weeks have gone by in a flash. It's nice to know, however, that depending on how things are with school, we can likely come up more at the end of the summer and in the fall. We shall see. Decisions have to be made. I feel ill-equipped to make them. Not that we have anything to decide, really, until our district announces its opening, or nonopening, plan.

I can neither imagine the kids going to actual school nor not going to actual school nor going back to distance learning nor being taught exlusively by me. It's a total failure of the imagination! My mind is completely blank when I try to think this through! I have never known less about parenting than I do right now! I wasn't even this clueless when I took Lucia to the ER as an infant because I freaked out when she wouldn't stop crying! I see the mom groups on Facebook, all the opinions and studies and conflicting thoughts on what's more damaging for kids, weird new versions of school or no contact with peers or etc etc (the consensus seems to be: grave damage is inevitable in every case! Kids are doomed! And yet...my kids have never been happier than they are right now, so...), and talk of  homeschooling 'pods' and what have you, and I feel completely out of touch. Out of my league.

What I know: at Walmart last week, I walked straight past the school supply aisles without so much as a sideways glance--and I'm a person who, in years past, has done the school-supply shopping right after the 4th of July.




Comments