Summer: Sun. 7/26 (PA)

My longest delinquent-blogging stretch yet! We left NJ in the late afternoon last Wednesday and drove to PA for our second visit of the summer. Tiny bone to pick: we were home for 2 1/2 days after our three weeks away in NH, and I kind of needed to get our held mail delivered, but we didn't get mail even once in the days we were home. What's up with that? I know I have some parcels in there, including some books I'm excited about, so that was annoying. PANDEMIC TROUBLES.

Anyway, we're in PA. We've been to Pittsburgh and had socially-distanced drinks with friends. The kids have worked on stained glass with Pop Pop. Mom, the girls, and I have watched all the episodes of Netflix's Babysitters Club (fabulous). I cut the kids' nest-hair. The kids have played with their American Girl dolls, the latest lockdown resurrection. 

The kids have also become obsessed with a traditional Orlando family snack called Toasted Butter Squares, which are...pieces of buttered toast cut into small squares and served with a toothpick. On Friday, when Andrew and I were gone for the day, each kid--over the course of the day--ate 8 pieces of toast in the form of Toasted Butter Squares. They prefer Pop Pop to make them, because apparently he knows how to cut them up the right way. This morning, when Mom asked the kids what they wanted for breakfast, Lucia called from the living room, "ALL THE BREAD YOU HAVE."

We're staying a couple more days then heading back to NJ.

What We're Reading:

Margo: Action Park: Fast Times, Wild Rides, and the Untold Story of America's Most Dangerous Amusement Park (I know! It's a nonfiction book with a subtitle! In my defense, it's about an insane amusement park in NJ and not some soporific HISTORY lesson.)

Lucia: rereading the entire Whatever After series
Greta: at loose ends reading-wise; reading my dad's books about stained glass (hence today's glass activity)

Andrew: Right before we left NJ, Andrew received an Amazon delivery of several new books he's super excited to read. Each is just perfectly, exquisitely snoozy. I'm going to open this up for a two-part poll: Which Of These Books Will Put You To Sleep First? And, bonus round, Which Of These Books Did I Make Up Right This Second?

         *Choice 1: Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties
         *Choice 2: The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West
         *Choice 3: The Year of Dangerous Days: Riots, Refugees, and Cocaine in Miami 1980
         *Choice 4: The Story of Dust from 1775-1958: The Allergen that Mocked the Dream of                                           Domestic Perfection from Caroline Ingalls to Betty Crocker











Comments

Laura Ainsley said…
Choice 3, aka Scarface: The Even More Boring Version, would be the one to put me to sleep...but I would absolutely read the dust book you imagined- especially given your nod to LHotP.