Summer: Tues. 7/14 (NH)

Fail, fail, fail parenting FAIL. This is why I don't randomly browse in bookstores. Here I thought the Warriors series that I bought for Greta would be about cats having adventures in their clans--but it's actually about WARRING clans and many cats in each book die gruesome deaths. Greta has read most of the way through the first book, and tonight at bedtime she was reading with her face a mask of horror because a cat she liked was killed in the battle. And another cat had already been killed. Too late, I read reviews online, and the gist of the many many reviews was "THIS IS AN AWESOME SERIES! BUT IF YOU'RE A SENSITIVE CAT LOVER, DON'T READ IT BECAUSE OF ALL THE VIOLENT CAT DEATHS!" So. Back to Books-A-Million we'll go tomorrow, to return the evidence of my parenting fail and select, as Greta said tonight, books about happy cats.

What if my epic book-selection fail turns her against reading forever??? "Why do you hate reading so much, otherwise intelligent adult?" "Well, when I was eight and obsessed with cats, my mother gave me some books where all the cats died, and I haven't picked up a book since. You can't trust books. Or my mother. We're estranged, BTW."

Sigh.

Last night was an epic thunderstorm--a huge boom of thunder woke me out of a deep sleep, and I couldn't sleep for the duration of the storm. Farrah was nestled up beside me, not too scared, just watchful and awake.

Today was rainy and cool, so we spent the day inside. L&G read a lot, we read Harry Potter a lot, Lucia and I played Rummikub a couple of times, and the kids played with Legos and wrote a story or a movie or something (in progress). We took a walk to look for red efts and found a few really tiny ones. Super cute. Andrew had a crazy work day, nonstop calls.






Comments