Summer Day 7/27

Wednesday was a nice day, all around. The cleaners were here, which meant we had to be out of the house for most of the morning, so I took L&G to the mall with me to return some shirts I'd bought and no longer needed thanks to my super-deals at Gabe's last week. They were pleasant and happy at the mall and even tried on some rash guards, which I was hoping to find for our beach trip in August (no luck). There was no whining, no bickering, no silliness. We even went to Bath & Body Works and I sprayed the girls with their choices of body splash. (I'd gone there with the hope of finding some Sun-Ripened Raspberry products, which I'd heard they were bringing back--but alas, they brought back that scent only for June.)

When we got home, we had lunch and quiet time. A note on quiet time: it became clear early in the summer that the quiet time we've had all these years to this point--just playing in their rooms--was no longer going to work. The reasons are many. One: They already play a lot in their rooms and don't really need a separate time dedicated to this. Two: They don't want to play separately, and their joint quiet time was consistently become wild and/or filled with fighting. Three: I really really need an hour each day to myself so I can keep up with a summer-long freelance editing project I've taken on for the third summer in a row. So, quiet time is now their daily hour of iPad time. It works for us all and they get to just sit still in their air-conditioned rooms.

After that, we went to the pool for a while. They had a blast as usual.

For dinner, I made pesto with basil from my basil plant. After bedtime, Andrew and I watched the DNC. (An aside: I may or may not have been flipping back and forth on Tuesday between the DNC and The Bachelorette Men Tell All. Only I know the truth.)

NO WHINING TODAY FROM MISS GRETA. She still seems very aware of it and has even made a joke out of it. After the pool, when I remarked to the girls what a nice day we'd had, Greta gave Lucia a sidelong glance and whined "Moommmmeeeee! Mooommmmeeeeee!" then laughed--ha ha ha!--at her hilarious prank. Sooooo funny, Greta. It'll be even more funny when we don't have a daily conversation about shoving the fisherman and his army into the coffeemaker. (The fisherman meets his demise in all sorts of interesting ways when Greta reaffirms her pledge to no longer whine.)

Comments