Quarantine: Fri. 4/17

A low-key day. The kids are now both obsessed with the School for Good and Evil books and spent much of today reading. Greta's started the first, and Lucia's rereading the third, desperate for our order of #4, 5, and 6 to arrive. "I wish, when you finish a series book, the next one could be RIGHT THERE," she lamented, prompting Andrew to mutter, "Yeah, e-books," temporarily forgetting who he's married to. (Longtime readers will remember that Andrew's first post-MBA job involved e-books, and I'm unable/unwilling to read e-books, which means a lot of our marriage is based on a pretty serious disjunct.)

Anyhoo. L&G also worked on more peg dolls today, turning to wooden clothespins since the wooden pegs are all gone. I'm now out of wooden clothespins too. And clear gluesticks.

The girls and I played two games of Dragonwood today--a really fun game. Later in the afternoon I took Farrah for a walk while L&G were doing more reading. Walks are nice not only because I get to spend time with Farrah but also because I get to listen to an audiobook. Right now I'm listening to In Five Years, and it's an excellent quarantine read/listen--intriguing without being heavy, light without being mindless. Also, the plot revolves around the question of what could possibly make a well-planned life derail, so thematically, it's unintentionally timely.

What else. It was fun seeing an interview go live today on Dead Darlings, where I talk about the book launch I imagined back before Covid-19 made book parties impossible. I also talk about my favorite deleted scene from the novel--a fun one I was loathe to cut. Read, share, like, comment. You know the drill. Or you will, once I put together a list of Ways to Help Your Friend Who's Publishing a Book During a Global Lockdown. Stay tuned for that.

A dinner of leftovers and an episode of Little House rounded out the day. In this one, Mary almost burns down the barn because she doesn't want to stop reading at night, which definitely hit close to home for all of us. "Never bring a candle into your bed to secretly read," I warned the girls, and they told me they have no idea how to light a candle, so basically my failure to teach actual life skills will save us all.

It's the "weekend." Yay?



Comments