Quarantine: Mon. 4/13

I'll start with the big news first: my Wegman's order from Instacart arrived!!! I was on pins and needles all day, even when I started getting notifications that the shopping was underway, even when I got the notification saying the order would arrive soon. It all came, pretty much. I haven't looked too closely to see what was refunded instead of substituted. But WOW do we have a lot of food now. Enough to make even a paranoid food hoarder like me feel secure. We have about 10 bags of shredded cheese, 72 slices of white American cheese, crackers for days, a giant family pack of tilapia, stacks of pasta boxes, rice, flour, eggs, coffee, coffee creamer, different types of sugar, canned beans, dry beans, and enough canned tomatoes in every conceivable variety to sustain us for months to come. Lots of green veggies too, some of which I'll par boil and freeze.

WOW that's a lot of details about groceries. Am I forgetting my audience? No, I am not. The (small) audience of this blog has likely spent just as many hours as I have trying to score a food delivery slot, and will share in celebrating my success (and commiserating over the insane amount of time it takes to clean off all the groceries with Lysol wipes).

Today is the start of "spring break," which is kind of a cruel joke, since it's not a break of any kind except that there's no toggling around on the computer all morning for homeschool. The kids were miffed that I still made them do typing, math facts practice, and piano practice, but I don't feel guilty. The entire rest of their day was free except for those 45 minutes. They mostly played with their Harry Potter figurines (I knew they'd like them but I had no idea they'd like them this much), building houses for them out of Magnatiles and rigging up swings with pipe cleaners.

To differentiate spring break quarantine from regular quarantine, I'm going to try to do a new craft with the kids each day. Today we plugged in all the glue guns and dressed up some peg dolls with fabric scraps, buttons, and yarn. I have a whole bin of wooden peg dolls that I'd forgotten about, and the craft was a big success. We all made a few. One of mine looks like Moira Rose. The kids did theirs by themselves but were too scared to paint on the faces, afraid they'd ruin them. So I gave them their eyes and mouths.

We also had candy-and-reading time: I read aloud a couple of chapters of On the Banks of Plum Creek while they ate as much Easter candy as they wanted. That was fun too.

Dinner was leftover ham (which was, last night, already leftover ham, so it was a DOUBLE LEFTOVER--now that's quarantine!!). It was a miserable day, stormy and windy, but we made it through. Now I'm going to watch Ozark and crochet, which, TBH, is exactly what I'd be doing even if we weren't in lockdown.

What we're reading:
Andrew: zzzzzzz
Margo: The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo
Lucia: The School of Good and Evil #3
Greta: The Haunting of Williamsburg and Words on Fire
Read aloud: On the Banks of Plum Creek




Comments