Quarantine: Wed. 4/1

New homeschooling methods and assignments kicked in today, and it went pretty well. Lucia's assignments are similar to what she's already been doing, while Greta's are more structured. Greta really liked her work today, especially the math assignments on a platform called IXL. She did way more than she was assigned, prompting a text from her teacher making sure we knew she didn't have to do that much.

Once we get all these platforms working we should be okay. We all like structure and this seems like a good amount of it. The kids worked on schoolwork for about 3.5 hours today, then did typing and played outside for a long time, and then we had lunch. The rest of the afternoon was free. They played mostly with Playmobil in the basement. They are loving this surplus of unscheduled time--finally able to devote hours to all the playing they want to do but are usually unable to do because of activities and homework.

We definitely aren't at the point where the kids are working independently on their assignments. Maybe (certainly) it's my fault, but my kids are not very technically adept, and there is a lot of toggling between screens and tabs and platforms and docs to complete the assignments (especially Lucia). I need to be there to help, at least for a while, which I expect and don't mind. But it isn't like I can sink into reading a book or writing when the kids are working--there are too many questions and interruptions--so I started another circular weaving today. It passes the time and calms me while I sit with them at the table.

I'll try to keep track of what we're all reading these days:
Lucia - Harriet the Spy
Greta - Words on Fire
Andrew - new Erik Larson
Margo - Sea Wife
Read aloud - On the Banks of Plum Creek

That NYT article by Ann Patchett about Kate DiCamillo was hugely inspiring, and I've pulled out all our Kate DiCamillo books. We have quite a few. I may have to step away from my usual TBR and read some of these next.


Comments