Quarantine: Thurs. 4/2

Sun today--what a nice thing to see. No one really wanted to do homeschool today. Most days the girls are happy enough--even enthusiastic--about sitting and going through their assignments, but today it was like pulling teeth. I tried to ignore the surliness and focus calmly on my weaving. Some days will be like this, I guess. We did well enough. At noon the kids went outside and played for the rest of the afternoon.

Their new activity (sorry, neighbors): spying. Lucia's reading Harriet the Spy, and it's made quite an impression on her, as it did on me long ago. I have vivid memories of my spy route--walking around our neighborhood at night, trying to see into people's windows (from across the street!), taking notes. All afternoon the girls skulked around the yard, taking notes on the people walking by. They were so excited about it. Later in the afternoon it was back to the Playmobil in the basement. Both girls had their Facetime piano lessons today too.

I made my first few face masks today. We're not leaving the house, but if we do, we'll have masks to wear. My first couple (shown here) were quite messy, but I got better very quickly. I made child-size ones for the girls. It's probably the most macabre thing I've ever created. Oh, here I am, just sewing up a little something to protect my babies from a deadly virus. I mean--it's chilling. Sewing helps keep my mind off the news, until the steely reality of what I'm doing slices in.





Comments