Quarantine: Tues. 4/28

A lot of neighbors are getting inflatable above-ground pools this summer. It's probaby the quirkiest thing about lockdown so far. (If I don't look for the absurdity in all this, I'll wither.) Today, imagining all the pools dotting yards across our town, Cheever's "The Swimmer" popped into my head. "The Swimmer"! Yes. The character in this story, Neddy Merrill, decides one summer evening that instead of walking home from his neighbor's house, he'll swim home by pool-hopping across his neighbors' yards. It's a strange and juvenile idea, fueled by too many cocktails, but the terrain Neddy ultimately crosses is much darker and more fraught than a simple lark. As he swims he finds himself lost--literally and existentially--learning of personal misfortunes from others, misfortunes he hadn't realized he'd suffered. A great deal of time has passed as he's been swimming. He's become unwelcome among the people he'd considered friends. And his home, when he finally reaches it, is empty.

Is there a better story for the feeling of this quarantine--the attempted journey home, the ever-receding possibility of reaching the destination, the feeling of aging and despairing with every stroke, the seasons changing around us we swim and swim and swim. The way a fine, blue-skied day can tilt and send you tumbling somewhere you didn't expect. Ack, this is a good story. "The only maps and charts he had to go by were remembered or imaginary but these were clear enough." I could quote every line. (If you don't know this story, acquaint yourself here.)

Today was bright and warm, and we're all the better for it. We finished homeschool, had lunch, and then the kids played outside for the rest of the day. Farrah did too. I worked on an essay, took Farrah for a walk, talked with neighbors (at a safe distance) along the way. I baked a loaf of dijon-thyme bread. We ate dinner (leftovers) on the porch.

I also got another Wegman's delivery from Instacart, so I spent some time disinfecting the groceries and distributing them among the kitchen and basement pantry. Among the groceries were boxes of Twinkies, Ding Dongs, and Ho Ho's, because this is lockdown. (We were also inspired by the Hostess cakes puzzle from the weekend.)

Another day, another day. You know what's keeping me going today, besides the sunshine? Two things:

**1. An excerpt from The Distance from Four Points is up at Hypertext. This book is venturing forth without me, and I hope you'll all help me wish it godspeed as it makes its way.

**2. McMillions. This documentary is exactly what quarantine requires. Andrew and I are obsessed. I have such visceral memories of the McDonald's Monopoly game from the 1980s/1990s, and this is the story of the fraud that drove it. Turns out I never had a chance of winning after all!







Comments