Quarantine: Sat. 4/4

It was a day. Just one more day in a long string of strange paused days. We all slept in, and I spent much of the day sewing masks, keeping a blissful distance from reality as I pinned and stitched. I made 16 today--I can go much much faster now that I have a new way of doing the fabric ties. Andrew baked cinnamon cookies. L&G played very very happily with Playmobil once again, even bringing a bunch of it outside to play with in the driveway. They were so absorbed, and Andrew and I gazed out at them adoringly from the kitchen window, speaking in wonderment about their deep-dive into their imaginary world, how this is exactly how they've always played and isn't it amazing for them to have this stolen time in quarantine to devote themselves to it, etc etc.

An hour later, Lucia went off the rails, throwing a fit about a family bike ride and basically going all tween on everyone. Sigh. It can't all be wondrous merriment, I suppose.

Tonight we had a kale, pork, and white bean soup for dinner and then watched Ratatouille (can't believe the kids hadn't watched this before now). After the kids were in bed I visited with friends on Zoom--a bi-coastal meetup that I can't believe we never thought of doing before.

At one point today, Greta declared, "I love quarantine," which I guess is good? I mean, except for the terror outside our door, quarantine is basically Greta's dream--staying home all day and playing with her favorite things, snuggling with Farrah whenever she wants. She talks increasingly about the cats she's going to have when she's older. Today it was cats plus a horse.

Both girls have perfected my labradoodle call, a high-pitched, discordant blend of syllables that, in translation, is "Hey, you!" Whenever Farrah enters a room, this is how I greet her--it's very high-pitched and the words are not defined, sliding into one another so it's more like a kind of bugle call, always at a higher-than-necessary volume, starting at a high note, sliding down, and then sliding back up. Andrew hates it and refuses to learn how to do it, even when all three of us are at the dinner table, doing the call, Farrah looking up at us gamely.

We got through the day. No pictures to mark it, sadly. Just a nice glass of wine and, now, a book to read.

Comments