Quarantine: Wed. 4/22

I ordered an inflatable above-ground pool today. Ten feet diameter, with a filter. It's a panic purchase for sure. The idea had been on my radar for a while, but today when I did a search on Home Depot, almost all the inflatable above-ground pools were sold out. Everyone seems to be planning for the reality that public pools aren't going to open this summer. So I ordered one from Target. We can always just return it or sell it or not use it if things take a turn for the better. But better to be safe, and have a pool at the ready. A summer without our community pool is hard to imagine but also, at this point in quarantine, too easy to imagine. So. We'll be ready. Maybe we'll go crazy and get a trampoline too.

Today we did homeschool stuff until lunchtime, and then L&G played for seven straight hours in the basement with their Legos. It was intense. No bickering or wandering up for snacks or anything--just intense, all-encompassing playing. The Legos are not being organized at all, but new things are being built, all the little characters are having adventures, and I honestly didn't see the kids all day. I was able to work on an essay, read a book, take Farrah for a walk, prepare for my live Facebook reading tomorrow, and make dinner.

About that live reading--I had anxiety dreams about it all last night. Virtual readings are the new thing for authors right now, which is...great? I guess? I'm dipping a toe in with this one, hosted by the Writers Conference of Northern Appalachia. Tomorrow (Thursday) at 8pm, I'll be reading for about five minutes on the WCoNA Facebook page. Join me there?

Dinner was cavatappi with cauliflower, pancetta, and breadcrumbs. Lucia stood at the table, shoveling food in her mouth, saying she wanted to eat as fast as she could so she could keep playing, then proceeded to have four servings. She hadn't eaten since lunchtime.

I'm operating here with the pretty strong belief that playing is learning, and that packing their days with school-type things will actually be less valuable than what we're doing, which is basically self-directed, free-form, play-based, creative un-schooling. I guess when my kids flunk out of high school you can all tell me I was wrong.





Comments