Quarantine: Thurs. 4/9

Another day that galloped along. A little schoolwork, a little work for CCD (I'm also a homeschool CCD teacher now!), two games of Zombie Kidz, and FaceTime piano lessons. The kids played in the  basement, with Playmobil and Legos, and played outside for a while too. 

We had sausage, potatoes, and carrots for dinner (a big roasted pan of sausages and veggies) and watched an episode of Little House. In this episode, Laura brings home a raccoon, and, through a series of misfortunes, both she and the dog Jack are bitten by the raccoon and possibly contract rabies. Near the end of the episode, Ma is losing her mind with worry about the now bedridden Laura, and Jack begins barking maniacally out in the barn--a sure sign that he's rabid. Pa takes down the shotgun and goes out to shoot Jack as the girls and Ma sob inside. At the very last second, Pa realizes Jack is barking at ANOTHER raccoon--the original raccoon--and that it's not rabid. (Or something. Laura and Jack were bitten by a raccoon that wasn't rabid, is the point.) You can imagine how this episode went over with L&G, as Pa raised his gun to his shoulder to shoot the dog. They were screaming and covering their eyes on the couch. You never know what you're going to get with these episodes. (Side note: how the heck did anyone live to adulthood in the prairie days?!)

Lucia and Greta have perfected Nellie Oleson's withering takedown of Laura and Mary, which she delivers when she first lays eyes on the Ingallses: "Hm. Country girls." 

My biggest achievement of the day was SCORING A DELIVERY SLOT FOR AN INSTACART SHOP FROM WEGMAN'S!!! I don't even know what to say. The stars were aligned. I want to thank Wegman's, and Instacart, and all the people who made today possible. With a slot assigned, I'm now adding to my cart with abandon. It will be the most I've ever spent on groceries at one time, and that's okay. The process of filling a cart and trying for a slot took me over two hours today. Grocery shopping is the biggest drain on my time in these quarantine days. I fully understand that building up an insane pantry of food, both shelf-stable and frozen, is the form my anxiety is taking, and that's fine. It's not like it'll be wasted. At the end of all this we'll just eat what we've collected for the next few years (hahaha). (But also not hahaha--I come from a long line of freezer-aficionados who will unblinkingly eat a container of pesto frozen in 2011...or before.)

I also understand that Instacart may at any time cancel this order. I won't think about that right now. At least I have THE CELERY.

What we're reading:
Andrew: snooze snooze snooze history book
Margo: finished Don't You Know I Love You by Laura Bogart; starting Her Sister's Tattoo by Ellen Meeropol
Lucia: The School of Good and Evil #3
Greta: Words on Fire






Comments